I told you that I would write a new blog once we got settled into the new house.
It has been a lot more problematic than I expected, and I was expecting a lot of problems! When you buy a house at auction, there are no guarantees, you get the house as-is. The roof is in very good shape, thankfully, but a lot of the windows need to be replaced. All of the appliances have been removed, probably by squatters, but thankfully they didn’t steal the copper pipes out of the walls. The central HVAC system is a mess, and hopelessly out of date, but we expected to need to replace it before we ever saw it. The one problem that I never saw coming with the issue with the ductwork, or more specifically, what is living inside the ductwork! They were not big gross rats, thankfully, but having mice nested in the air ducts was only slightly less disgusting. My main problem was not wanting to gas or poison them all, mostly because I didn’t want to put toxins into the HVAC system. If we killed them all with poison, then a) the ductwork would be coated with that same poison and b) there would be a hundred dead mice cluttering up the HVAC system. I had to call in an HVAC tech and a pest control expert, and set up a meeting with both of them at once. We needed to coordinate a plan of attack, because the house would not be livable until the ductwork was clear and clean.