Like most houses, the furnace is located in the basement at our house.
Our washer and dryer is also in the basement, so I usually see the furnace when I go down to do the laundry. A few weeks ago, I noticed that the light on the furnace was flickering and looked more yellow than usual. I mentioned this to my husband and he seemed very concerned. He immediately went down to the basement and looked at the furnace. Apparently the light I saw is called the pilot light, and it can be an indicator of significant problems with the furnace. My husband immediately called in an emergency service to our local heating and cooling company. I was confused because I didn’t see how a light could be an emergency, but I am so glad my husband jumped into action. It turns out that the changes in the pilot light indicated that there was excessive carbon monoxide in our furnace. The heating and cooling technician arrived promptly and was able to fix the situation. I was shocked to know how dangerous of a situation we had on our hands. I am so glad that I took note of the light. I honestly wouldn’t have thought anything of it. It’s important to pay attention to your furnace to avoid any major problems.