I have been trying to get through to the Heating, Ventilation and A/C business for the last more than one weeks.
I’m afraid that if I don’t get them to the house soon, I’ll need to turn our furnace on before the service is completed and repairs are done.
I knew there were a few concerns when the furnace was turned off for the season. I decided to wait and have everything done at the same time. Now, I am wondering if this was a wise choice. I got through to the Heating, Ventilation and A/C business the first time I called, however they put me on hold. Half an hour later, I was still on hold and hung up. An hour later, I tried calling back and the same thing happened. I got a person who asked me to hold, however they never came back on to answer our call! On our fourth call, the person started to put me on hold and I yelled. I told her I refused to be put on hold again and forgotten about, but she said she had someone on the line and I told her to put them on hold. She sputtered a bit and asked what was so crucial I had to be rude. Instead of telling her I needed service, I told her it was imperative I speak to the owner, and I did not want to be put on hold. One minute later, I was talking to the owner of the Heating, Ventilation and A/C dealer. I explained what had happened and how I was about to be put on hold for the fourth time. I wanted our furnace serviced. He promised to have someone had the house within an hour.